Ely Lodging - Before and After Your Canoe Trip
Where to stay in the Ely, Minnesota area on your BWCA trip
Below are several options for lodging before and after your canoe trip. We suggest you make lodging reservations promptly.
Indoor Lodging Options
- Ely Outfitting Company Bunkhouse - 218-343-7951. Our bunkhouse was newly remodeled in 2015! It's next door to our shop, and within convenient walking distance of Ely's shops, restaurants, and entertainment, as well as Ely's Whiteside Park. The bunkhouse is a clean, comfortable, and affordable option at $25 per person, plus tax. It includes two private units. Each air-conditioned unit has its own entrance, bath and small refrigerator with freezer. All beds include fresh linens with pillows and blankets. Bath towels as well as soap, shampoo, and conditioner are provided. The front unit sleeps up to nine, with a minimum four-person rate. The front unit includes one full size bed, six bunked single beds, and the potential for two roll-out beds. The back unit sleeps up to four with a minimum three-person rate. The back unit includes four bunked single beds. Well-behaved, quiet dogs allowed with advance notice and $15 pet fee.
- Adventure Inn - 218-365-3140. This Inn provides some of the newest and "greenest" rooms in Ely. Their new energy efficient building uses solar powered hot water. Ask for the new building as it is far better than the older one next door. Rooms start at about $85 per night.
- Blue Heron Bed & Breakfast - 218-365-4720. The Blue Heron borders the BWCAW eight miles east of Ely and provides a lovely lakeshore setting on Farm Lake. Two night minimum stay typically required. Rooms start at about $140 per night. Their dining room also serves dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
- Canoe on Inn - 218-365-4590. A clean and affordable basic motel very close to downtown shops and restaurants. Rooms start at about $70 per night with two queen beds.
- Grand Ely Lodge - 800-365-5070. This is a large hotel overlooking Shagawa Lake, about a mile from downtown Ely. It has an indoor pool and on-site restaurant and lounge. Rooms start at about $180 per night and may require a two night minimum stay.
Camping Options (Organized by distance from Ely)
- Fall Lake Campground - U.S. Forest Service campground on Fall Lake, 8.5 miles from Ely, tent sites $14-$17 per night, optional electric sites, group sites with special rates, RV sites, click here for reservations and full facility details.
- South Kawishiwi River Campground - U.S. Forest Service campground on the S. Kawishiwi River, 10 miles from Ely, tent sites $12 per night, non-electric sites only, click here for reservations and full facility details.
- Fenske Lake Campground - U.S. Forest Service campground on Fenske Lake, 10 miles from Ely, tent sites $10-$12 per night, group sites with special rates, click here for reservations and full facility details.
More lodging options are provided at the Ely Chamber of Commerce website.